Saturday 17 October 2015

The Beginning of the Road...

Dear Adventurer,

Welcome to The Global Hot Potato! We are about to embark on a voyage through time and space, exploring the complex relationship between global food production and significant changes to our environment. I can't say that I am much of a blogger (yet!), but I am still rather excited to be writing one as part of my degree module: Global Environmental Change. (Please note: terrible puns will be included).


Literally a hot potato... Mmm... Image hosted by: http://www.improbable.com


To introduce myself, my name is Chloe and I am studying an MSc in Environmental Modelling at UCL. Coming from a mathematical background, I have long felt compelled to utilise the power of mathematics to explore areas of growing environmental concern in the world, such as the modelling of climatic trends, population dynamics, resource depletion and intensive farming.

My inspiration for focusing on the topic of food production was ignited after watching Ron Fricke's Samsara, a powerful film demonstrating the parallels between human behaviour and the Earth's natural processes. Within it, we are shown graphic scenes of current food manufacturing practices carried out in small corners of the world: out of sight, out of mind. And this really got me thinking about how a large proportion of us choose to suppress thoughts of this vast industry and its environmental impact, despite being confronted with food choices multiple times a day, every day. And I am no exception to this majority, but as an avid cook (and wannabe environmentalist), I feel it is my duty to raise concerns for such matters and address some general, burning questions within this blog, such as:

  • How is food production impacting the environment?
  • How is climate change affecting global food security?
  • What is society's role in influencing production practices?
  • What can we do to stop being part of the problem?

I hope this has given you some food for thought (yes, cliché food pun #1), and a general idea of things to come. With today aptly being the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, and yesterday World Food Day, I will bid you farewell with an incredibly interesting article from the International Business Times about how the discrimination of women within the agricultural industry may be increasing food poverty and decreasing food security.

Hit me up with any questions you have (big or small) in the comments section, and I will happily answer!

¡Hasta luego amigos!





No comments:

Post a Comment